Social Housing Reform
Supporting Communities has been engaged by the Department for Social Development to facilitate direct consultation with community representatives on particular areas of the Reform Programme. We want to help social landlords and tenants work together to build strong communities that are places people are proud to call home.
What is Social Housing Reform?
This is Northern Ireland’s first major review of social housing. This work is intended to make sure the existing delivery structures, including the Housing Executive, housing associations and the Department for Social Development, are as effective as they can be. This will include looking at new and better ways to:
- Engage, involve and empower tenants through a tenant participation strategy
- Better regulate the work of social housing providers through a new framework
- Make sure rents are fair, transparent, affordable and consistent
- Help social housing providers to engage effectively with local councils
- Provide the best possible homes and services for tenants into the long term
You can find more information about the social housing reform programme on the Department for Social Development's website.