Are your household contents insured?

Many tenants believe that their landlord automatically insures their furniture, belongings, and decorations against fire, theft, vandalism or water damage such as burst pipes. THIS IS NOT THE CASE!

Unfortunately, some tenants only realise this after the damage has been done. Supporting Communities encourages all tenants to take out household contents insurance.

Contents insurance is insurance that pays for damage to, or loss of, an individual's personal possessions while they are located within that individual's home.

Supporting Communities has negotiated a home contents insurance scheme with Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc specifically designed for tenants in Northern Ireland to give you peace of mind against life’s little accidents. Cover is provided from just £2.01 a week! 

What is covered?

Most of your household goods and contents including pedal cycles and computer equipment are insured when in your home. They are covered against loss or damage caused by specific events such as theft, fire and flood, but accidental loss in the home is not covered.

Also insured are lost or stolen keys, freezer contents and your own legal liability to the public and cost of alternative accommodation. Also covered are improvements you have made to your home such as fitted kitchens, bathrooms, wardrobes, laminate flooring, patio doors etc (but not greenhouses or conservatories).

Some Accidental Damage cover is provided automatically by this policy as shown in the Summary of Cover on the back page. However, you can choose to add the full Accidental Damage option to your policy for payment of an additional premium. Full Accidental Damage cover would also include damage caused by pets.

You also have the options to add cover for Personal Belongings, Hearing Aids, Wheelchairs, Garden Huts, Outbuildings, Garages and Greenhouses. See the Cost of insurance tables for further information.

A summary of cover is given on the back page and full details are available on request.

Please note that the policy does not cover maintenance, wear and tear, anything which happens gradually, electrical, mechanical or electronic breakdown, rot, radioactive contamination, sonic bangs, pollution or contamination, date change and computer virus, war risks and terrorism.

You should read your policy carefully. Make sure it meets your needs.

Easy payment

The cost of insurance is payable fortnightly or monthly by payment card, monthly by direct debit or annually by cheque, debit or credit card. The application form below has a full list of prices.

“New-for-old” insurance

The policy insures your contents other than clothing and household linen on a “new-for-old” basis, meaning they would be replaced as new if destroyed by an event insured by the policy. You do however have a duty to maintain your household contents and personal belongings in sound condition and good repair. Therefore, you should add up the value of all items at their current replacement cost, less an allowance for wear and tear for clothing and household linen. It is important not to undervalue your contents otherwise the insurer will not pay the full value of your claim.

Download the application form for more information.

To apply:

1.    Complete the application form answering all the questions. Remember to tick the appropriate method of payment on the application form.

2.    Check your total sum insured figure is adequate.

3.    Supply any additional information required.

4.    Read the Declaration and sign at the bottom of the application form.

5.    For general enquiries, please call 03456 718 172. Calls may be recorded and monitored.

6.    Complete the application form and insert your name/s into the signature box.

7.    Email your form to

To Claim: 

Policy holders can now claim online here: