The Role of the Independent Tenant Organisation for NI
The Tenant Participation Strategy for NI (2015-2020) calls for the establishment of an ITO. Supporting Communities won the tender for this contract and has since established Empowering Communities to help deliver on these responsibilities. So what are we doing?
1. Develop guidance to support the Tenant Participation Strategy.
What does the Tenant Participation Strategy mean for your organisation? We have published guidance notes and provide a consultancy service to keep you right!
- Read the Tenant Participation Strategy
- Download "Developing and Maintaining a Tenant Participation Strategy" Guidance Notes
2. Run a Housing Policy Panel to act as a social housing consultant to the Dept for Communities.
We have developed a "Job Description" and Terms of Reference for the panel and are recruiting volunteers! Interested?
3. Establish and support a Tenant Advocate Role to speak up for tenants' interests.
We will support and train an advocate to act as a consultant to the Department for Communities to represent the interests of social housing tenants in Northern Ireland.
4. Support Housing Associations to develop & deliver Tenant Participation Strategies
Engaging with tenants and supporting them to be a part of the business decision making process of social housing organisations is not only the right thing to do, it is the smart thing to do.