The Tree Council’s Tree Futures Grant Scheme.

Funding is available to assist schools and community groups in undertaking well-planned tree planting projects across the UK during National Tree Week.

Application deadline: 17/05/2019

Background

The Tree Council was founded in 1973 with major support from the then Department of the Environment and in 1978 became an independent registered charity. The Tree Council's aims are to:

  • Improve the environment in town and country by promoting the planting and conservation of trees and woods throughout the United Kingdom.

  • Disseminate knowledge about trees and their management.

  • Act as a forum for organisations concerned with trees, to identify national problems and to provide initiatives for cooperation.

  • Work through and on behalf of its member organisations, the Tree Council aims to create an awareness of the value of trees and of the need for more trees and their better management.  It uses every opportunity to inform people about trees, to alert them to national tree problems and to seek solutions.

Each November, the Tree Council organises National Tree Week at the start of the tree planting season.  National Tree Week is the UK's largest annual tree planting campaign and a nationwide festival of trees. Its purpose is to raise public awareness of trees and to encourage tree planting and good management.

The Tree Futures Grant Scheme combines and replaces three previously established funding schemes provided by the Tree Council - Trees for Schools, Community Trees and Orchard Windfalls. This new scheme offers a single grant which encompasses all the elements of the three older schemes in order to simplify the application process.

Objectives of Fund

The scheme assists schools and community groups in the UK to conduct educational tree- and hedge-planting projects during National Tree Week, which involve young people under the age of 16, with the aim of working towards a greener future.

Grants of between £300 and £1,000 are available.

If the cost of the planned project is likely to exceed the £1,000 limit, the Tree Council suggests that a funding application is made for a standalone section of the project.

The Tree Council will fund 80% of the amount awarded, applicants must find the remaining 20% from other sources.

Applicants are advised to check with their county, district or borough council to see if they might provide match funding.

Proposed planting sites must be on public/trust or charity-owned/leased land and must not be in close proximity to buildings. The soil quality must be suitable, and the site must be properly protected from wild and farmyard livestock. Written permission to plant on the site must be provided from the person with the authority to grant it.

Restrictions

The following are not eligible for funding:

  • Retrospective applications.

  • Bushes and shrubs.

  • Willows.

  • Fan-trained, espalier or step-over fruit trees.

  • Trees planted in tubs.

  • Expensive guards and cages that are not justified.

  • Associated costs for external planting advice/advisers.

Eligible Expenditure

Funding is available for well-planned, educational projects to plant trees and hedges in the UK during National Tree Week (23 November – 1 December 2019) or as near as possible afterwards, depending on when trees are available from the suppliers (seasonal variations affect this date).

How To Apply

The deadline for applications is 17 May 2019 (5pm). Planting must start during National Tree Week (23 November – 1 December 2019) or as near as possible afterwards, depending on when trees are available from the supplier (seasonal variations affect this date).

An application form and guidance are available at https://www.treecouncil.org.uk/ . Applications should be submitted by email to Geraldine Creaven and include the following information:

  • Tree details: names, height, root type (all this information is available from the supplier).

  • Number and price of each tree.

  • Number, price and type of support and aids; justification for using this particular type of support.

  • An email from the person responsible for granting consent to plant on the site and a guarantee that the site will be secure for at least five years.

  • Site map.

  • Location plan, which must include positions, numbers and species of the trees to be planted.

Successful applicants will be notified by 30 June 2019